Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Pink Bike







Last week we took the kids to the local Safety Fair. We arrived close to the end so quickly added the kids names to the ongoing drawings that they were doing. They were giving away books and t-shirts and gift cards at at they end they were giving away a couple of bikes. They announced that they were drawing for the "girls" bike and they called "Joshua Bradshaw"! I was thrilled just the day before this Josh was saying how sad he was that he had to leave his bike in Utah. Josh wasn't paying attention and didn't here his name, I leaned over and said "Josh, you just won a bike, it is a girls bike, but don't worry we can exchange it for a boy one later" I don't think he heard a word I said. He walked up on stage and saw the bike (sitting right next to the "boy" one) and with a look of horror he crossed his arms, stepped away from the bike and said "I don't want a girls bike!!!!" I don't blame the 6 year old for not wanting a pink bike, I tried to not make a scene and calmly explained to him that a pink bike is better then no bike! The man doing the drawing kept asking (into the microphone) if he was going to take it or should they give it to someone else. I said of course we will take it and he will get over it! Did I mention that this whole time William was off stage crying because he didn't win the pink bike!!
We told Josh to give it to Will and we would get another one. We took them to the church parking lot to see if Will could ride it. It was way to big, but as soon as Josh saw that it rides just as well as a boy bike he wanted and was thrilled to have it! As for William,he was thrilled to have the pink backpack from it so in the end it worked out!

1 comment:

Jessica & Royce said...

I'm so excited to squeeze them all in July!!!