Friday, April 17, 2009

Trying to get to Alaska!!!

This is me re-packing for the fourth time.  I had to re-arrange 
everything just in case we drove.
These two picture are from the first time that we tried
to get on an airplane and you can only see half of our stuff

This was the fourth time and the day the we actually got on a flight!
Finally arriving in Anchorage Alaska at 2:00am Utah time
The boys were just a little tired!
All the STUFF that you have to pack for a family of six!

So for those of you who are unclear about where we are and why I will try and fill you in.  With the construction world coming to a screeching halt we had come up with an alternate plan, quickly.  Jared accepted a job in Homer Alaska running a halibut fishing charter again (people pay him to take them Halibut fishing)  We rented out our house and went and stayed in Heber with my parents for about a month and a half.  We then learned that Jared had to register his captains license in person before April 15 or his license would be void and we would not be able to have a job running the boat-which is bad.  We made quick arrangements to fly March 26 to Homer in order in insure that he is registered in time.  It was about that time the the Volcano, Redoubt started erupting which continually caused the airport to shut down.   Our first 3 flights were cancelled  we rescheduled one more time but new that if that one was cancelled that we would have no choice, but drive to Alaska in order to get Jared registered in time.  Let me be clear about how scary the idea of driving is:  It takes 75 HOURS of driving to get to Alaska.  Yes, it is a beautiful drive (Jared and I did it the first year that we were married) but pretty sure that it would be impossible to enjoy the scenery with all the kids in the car for that long!!  
The whole thing was really a nightmare things just seemed to get from bad to worse.  Four times we packed the car with 8 suitcases, 6 carry-on bags, double jogging stroller, two car seats, pack and play for babies, two carriers for the babies and a big dog and her kennel.  Every time we had to be ready just in case and every time the boys were completely devastated that we were not getting on an airplane and to make matters worse my hands (because of the ridiculous stress level) broke out in tiny blisters, about 500 of them on each hand.  Apparently my body can only handle so much!
Fourth time is a charm in our case and I couldn't be more grateful for an uncomfortable long flight with for kids.     
I do want to say a big thank you for all the phone calls and words on encouragement from so many friends and family members.  Your kind words made my days so thank you for being so kind. 
Anyways we made it here and it is a beautiful to place to spend a summer.  There are no Cafe Rio's here and so I find it impossible to think about staying any longer then that, but the boys are in heaven.  Now just pray that people come fishing!


11 comments:

Jaymerz said...

I don't think I would be complaining about Cafe Rio when I had Captian Patty's and Land's end, haha (and I can say that because I have been living without one for over 3 years). 4 times that is crazy, but I am glad you made it there. I wish we could come and fish, we would be there in a heart beat if we could.

~Kreitzers said...

I'm sorry but I just had to laugh! I can't believe you had that much luggage each time :(

Jenn Tobin said...

Seriously all that luggage, you are a brave girl!!!! And I love you, and you TOTALLY crack me up!! I am so glad you guys made it up there with out having to drive! That would have been so no fun! So you took Jared's dog. I have not heard about Chevette in quite some time, and since I never see you I don't know. Do you guys still have her? I can't believe you even thought about taking a dog with all those kids, I would have gone absolutely insane! You are such a stronge person to have gone through everything you have gone through in the last year! I admire you!!! Have agreat summer!!!!!

J-miffs said...

It's true Jamie the food here is fabulous, but Cafe Rio is Cafe Rio and it is way more affordable.
Angie I had to laugh too...or else I would cry
Jenn Chevette is alive and well and at my parents for the summer because out here Chevette is Eagle food-yes I am serious-just a couple of weeks ago a woman was out with her new expensive puppy when an eagle swooped down and carried it off!!!! Jared's dog had to come because it is hard to ask anyone to watch such a big dog for the whole summer!
Britny

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That sounds like an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE four times!!!! Oh how I wish I could have helped you in some way! Glad to hear you made it!

Your kids are ADORABLE and huge! Wow! They have grown like crazy! Love ya!

Alyson said...

Wow Brit! I just can't believe you are still smiling in those pictures! What an adventure! Way to hang in there! I loved visiting Alaska and wondered what it would be like to live there. I'm excited to read about your life there!

annie said...

Whenever Abbey, Andrew and I go to the park, Andrew will always ask to go see Josh and William and then I feel so depressed because your not there.

I'm glad you guys have gotten settled in. You are an inspiration to me because through all the stress and chaos you've been pretty calm through it all. I'll title you a "Survivor" nothing will make you fall and all these trials that have happened have made you stronger and you've been such a blessing to ME as well as others because of it.

I can't believe how big the babes are getting. Oh they are so cute. Give them both a big kiss on those cute chubby cheeks for me.

:)

Love ya,
Annemarie

Michael Levergood said...

so i went through and used almost an entire bottle of weed killer in and around your property. My hopes are that my efforts will guilt you all into coming home?

i love you jared.

- Michael

Bradshaw Adventures said...

Annemarie-We miss you too! I think Jared would have a different story about how calm I stayed! I am pretty sure I cried every day, but you have to do what you have to do to make it to tomorrow these days whether you like it or not. Thanks for all your kind words.
Mike-We are so grateful-bill us!
Jared sends his love also...and now everyone is a little freaked out!

Jessica & Royce said...

I'm not freaked out.
I don't think that story is funny at all--maybe someday. It was horrible. And I would cry so much if an eagle took Chevette.

Michael Levergood said...

Hey Royce! To make Jared mad enough to move home, why don't we plan a golfing outing with the Robertsons!